The following is a sample of a few of the more than 400 images provided on the Supplemntal CD. Check back soon for more!
Born in South Carolina, Andrew Johnson moved to Georgia around 1828. One of the original settlers of Gibraltar, he was the founder of New Gibraltar in 1839 which became the City of Stone Mountain in 1847.
The Andrew Johnson House
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Built originally about 1840 by Andrew Johnson, the home was then occupied by his son-in-law, Doctor Hamilton. It has served many purposes since then including use as a hospital during the Civil War.
Stone Mountain as it would have appeared during the time of the book.
A view of the town of Stone Mountain circa 1850. The building on the left is the Stone Mountain Inn, most recently known as the General Store. The spire of the Presbyterian Church can be seen in the background. The railroad platform on the right is the current location of City Hall.
The Maguire House
Promised Land Plantation
Gwinnett County, Georgia
View of Savannah 1861.
GMI Cadets defend the Oconee River.
Courtesy of The Marrietta Museum of History, Mr. Dan Cox, Curator
The peculiar twist given to the rails removed from the tracks by the Union Army earned them the name, Sherman's Neckties.
Only know photogragh of newly freed Slaves following the Union line of march.
The Georgia Campaign
From The Military Campaigns in Georgia Map produced by the Georgia Civil War Commission.
Courtesy of Barry Brown